Christchurch Rebuild Update
Welcome to the April 2012 addition of the New Zealand Skills In Demand Christchurch Rebuild update.
- Infrastructure repairs have begun on arterial roads – this will cause major traffic delays in some areas.
- White Zone announcements are still pending – possibility for additional flight and push back once decisions are made, especially from those who are Red Zoned due to rock fall risk.
- Short-term accommodation remains a real issue. Generally, rental costs are escalating.
- Demolition has begun in White Zone areas. Some areas worse than others – 1/3 of houses in Mt Pleasant are set for demolition.
- A geographical split between West Christchurch and East Christchurch is also causing a perceived social split because those in the West have little understanding of the day-to-day frustrations facing those in the East.
- The New Zealand Government has set up the Christchurch Central Development Unit (CCDU) to create a blueprint for the rebuild of the central city. The CCDU has 100 days to deliver the blueprint.
- Owners of property in the Residential Red Zone have been given a three month extension in time for accepting the Government’s offer in respect of damaged homes.
Skills In Demand has recently placed a senior project manager with Christchurch’s leading infrastructure organisation. His role will be assisting in the construction of new pumping stations as part of the Rebuild effort.
- Since 4 September 2010, the total number of earthquakes detected in the region is 10,234 (as at 30 April 2012).
- Canterbury residents have likely felt 3,095 earthquakes since 4 September 2010.
- Land surveyors
- Structural and geotechnical engineers
- Construction project managers
- Roading engineers
- Diesel mechanics
- Site managers – groundworks / construction
- New Zealand Skills In Demand has formed a strategic partnership with Migration Associates, a visa consultancy specialising in New Zealand visas (www.migrationassociates.com).
- Attended Skilled Migrant Jobs expos in Twickenham and Birmingham in April (www.skilledmigrantjobs.com).
- Will be attending Down Under Live expo in Birmingham on 26 – 27 May 2012 (www.downunderlive.co.uk).
- Joel Gabites, Executive Director, United Kingdom or Amy Carter, Managing Director, New Zealand
- CVs to email@example.com