THIS POSITION IS NOW CLOSED.
Teacher (Special Education) - South Auckland, NZ
This South Auckland school is looking for a Scale A teacher to teach students who have significant intellectual and complex disabilities, ranging from 5 - 21 years of age. This opportunity presents candidates with the potential for a challenging and diverse day-to day, as they may be required to work locally with students at the base school, or conduct satellite classes from distance. Initially the position is that of teacher for the senior secondary satellite – students aged 16 – 18 yrs who are working at level 1 of the NZ Curriculum.
The ideal candidate will:
- be a New Zealand registered teacher, with proven experience in working with students with special needs in a satellite / mainstream context.
- have a special education qualification and/or have participated in professional development that is relevant to the needs of students with special needs.
- have a range of effective skills that assist students with intellectual impairment to learn. These may include the use of visual strategies, PECS, social stories, functional analysis of comprehension and behaviour, setting SMART targets, individualising programmes, use of appropriate feedback strategies, structuring the classroom environment.
- be able to develop and implement systems which promote independence.
- have good communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to manage and work with teams, as well as parents / whanau, caregivers and colleagues in a caring and supportive manner.
- have a sense of humour, flexible approach, and effective organisational skills.
If you are passionate about working to better the lives of with students with intellectual disabilities, and are excited by the chance to do so on a large scale through the implementation of learning technologies, then please send a copy of your CV through to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the reference #76854.
If you're interested in working and living in New Zealand please fill out our free initial visa evaluation form today.